Saturday 12 December 2020

Day Six

First big mistake - I forgot to oil the front of the guitar before applying the first very thin layer of diluted polyurethane gloss. The result was that the front remained dull unlike the back, sides and neck that all looked as though they’d had the first thin layer of gloss.

Is this the solution? Who knows. I searched the internet, found no relevant answers but decided that one thin application of 80% white spirit was something I’d have to live with. Given the thinness of the veneer rubbing it back to raw wood wasn’t an option so I decided to ‘pretend’ I’d not made the mistake.

I rubbed the front lightly with 1200 grit wet and dry then applied two coats of penetrating guitar oil. After just two coats with a couple of hours drying between coats the body looked much better as in the first photo. 


After five coats, (bottom photo) I was satisfied I could do no more to rectify my mistake so I put the guitar to bed and resolved to renew my thin layers of glossing tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 12 Plus

 Day Twelve Plus Following some advice I received on an internet group of guitar builders, I’ve given the body – front, back and sides – thr...