Thursday 17 December 2020

Days Eight and Nine

These are days when patience pays off. Resisting the urge to apply too much thin gloss at one go or to apply the next coat before the previous one has properly dried is difficult if you’re anxious to see the instrument finished but I’m told the wait is worth it.



 

In addition, I felt some remedial work was necessary on the treble side of the top near the neck joint and that’s going to need some additional time. The cause was a small over-application of thin gloss and needed a stronger rub-down. I think it may not be entirely right until the first of the topcoats is applied.

In addition, I’ve decided to sign the headstock much in the style that the owner of PRS guitars uses his signature. After some experimentation, I bought a fine-pointed white Posca pen that, when properly dried, seems will not smear or be affected by the gloss. By its nature, the script will not need much protection so I intend to leave the signing until the penultimate topcoat of glass is dried and cover it only with the final topcoat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 12 Plus

 Day Twelve Plus Following some advice I received on an internet group of guitar builders, I’ve given the body – front, back and sides – thr...